Saturday, May 12, 2012

Less than 24 hours later I want to crawl into a hole and die.

I don't know if making this house a home is possible. I don't know if it's possible with these kids. I asked Rambo Bug Boy (RBB) to wipe out the inside of a gross kitchen drawer for me, using a damp warm sponge. I took the drawer out and set it on the ground so that he wouldn't lean on it and break it. He turned it over and stepped on it, and of course his foot went straight through the bottom. He wasn't being bad; he thought the drawer would support his weight. I can't even tell you how many things in this house are messed up because apparently it never occurs to ANY of my kids that they aren't for jumping/hanging/standing on. Doors, drawers, cabinets, couches, bookshelves, chairs...I tell them, consistently, but they don't get it. Is that normal?

So another kitchen drawer is broken and useless. In addition to most of the pantry shelves, the baking cabinet shelves, and all of the lower cabinet doors, which hang crooked. I've got to be doing something wrong that my kids still think this house is indestructible. That and they've got to be dumb as posts to not have figured it out yet themselves. After all, it keeps breaking.

Now they are all in the van waiting for me to take them to breakfast and a park. The plan was to take them to the farmers market, then swimming, then Costcos, but that's not going to happen. We got up too late for the market, it's too cold to swim, and without breakfast I'm not going to risk Costcos.

I want to send them all away for a month and work on the house the whole time they are gone. That's the only way I can see accomplishing anything. After all, what good are babysteps forward with all around you everything is taking great leaps backward?

No comments:

Post a Comment